Use 'Special Days' with promos to boost sales
Have you ever wondered if your promotions would be more exciting if they were tied to made up special days like National Donut Day?
Spoiler alert: They would be! Let's dive in to understand how you can take advantage of it to boost sales.
"National Sock Puppet Theater Day" isn't real...but it should be
Why settle for a boring "Summer Sale" when you could be celebrating "World UFO Day" with discounts on all things, well, out of this world? Special days give your promos that extra oomph.
People are almost 2x more likely to click on a promo linked to a special day. For example, a dog gear company saw clicks jump from 10% to 19.3% when they tied a sale to the anniversary of their mascot's rescue.
Why does this work? 🤔
Research shows that people dig promotions tied to quirky special days. It's like throwing a themed party, everyone just has more fun!
So use those special days to stand out and get on your customers' calendars. They're the peacocks of the marketing world—flashy and hard to ignore. Plus, they make customers feel good, and happy customers are buying customers.
Ideas for special days that drive sales
So, what should be your special days? Well, you have options. For example, you could use existing days like "Talk Like a Pirate Day," make up your own like "Amazon Prime Day," or personalize it like "Happy 1-Year Customer-versary!"
Other (awful) examples:
Feel free to use these for some fun and engaging marketing campaigns...but hopefully you can come up with some that are better 😛
Things to watch out for
If you decide to try this out, there are a few things to watch out for:
- Not all days are equal: Your "World Vegan Day" promo won't fly at a steakhouse.
- Don't overdo it: If every day is special, then no day is special. Don't overuse this tactic.
If you over use special days, the top slogan of the next presidential campaign might be "Make special days special again!" (see what I did there? #dadjokes)
Here's how to do it
- Calendar check: Find upcoming special days that align with your brand to fill the gaps between existing holidays
- Get Creative: Create your own special day if nothing fits, anything but "Add to Cart, But Never Checkout Day"
- Personalize: Use customer data to celebrate individual milestones. "Happy 100th Login Day" or "We Know You Looked at This Item 3 Times, Just Buy It Already" could be a thing...but might be a little creepy.
So, go ahead, make every day a special promo day (ok, not every day...). Until next week, keep those creative juices flowing!
Want to learn more? 🤓
If you want to learn more about this topic, you can dig into the nerdy details in the original marketing study here.
Quote of the week 💬
"Made-up holidays are the marketing world's version of 'Because I said so.' No real reason, but hey, it works."
Launch your Shopify AI product quiz in 5 minutes.
Smart AI-powered quizzes that recommend products to increase sales, reduce returns & grow subscribers.Get Early Access